login   |    register

135
The End of Days

I am now at windshield. It is a one piece part, and here you need to alter some parts. You have to thin down the outsides and the cast windscreen wiper needs to be removed and replaced with the P.E. part. The windscreen wiper motor needs to removed and here also another P.E. part is used.

So 80% of the model is build. The only two things that need to be placed are two side fenders and thier supports. The model itself is almost ready.

Now it is time to give my model a color. At first I sprayed my model Black Matt;( Hum 33) for base color. And when this was completely dry (24 Hours) I sprayed the first base color ( Tamiya XF-62) olive green. The wash color I used was Van Dyke brown (van Gogh oils), it was applied over the entire vehicle. The wash was done on the inside as well as on the outside. The dry brush is a combination of U.S dark Green 116, French Artillery green 179, and Sand 187 (All Humbroll). For some more lighter dry brush dynamics I added some matt white to the base dry brush color. The exhaust is covered with MIG pigment. The muddy tracks are done with several colors of the Polly S brand.

The transfers used on this model are the original Tamiya ones because I did not have any 'dry's' for Allied vehicles as I have for my Axis vehicles.

There are some template masks with the Eduard set but I'm not very fond of these because the glue that holds these templates in its place during spraying will not stay on the template but will end up on your model. And believe me that is not what I want....The model itself is completely painted and now it is time to concentrate on the actual figure.

About the Author

About H.L.Sikkema (demodelbouwer)
FROM: NOORD-HOLLAND, NETHERLANDS

hello i'm eric and i live in the Netherlands. I'm married with ilona and have three daugters. for the last year i am a very active modeller. Before that the hobby was only a time distraction. I'm a modeller for over 35 years now and i like to share my knowledge with others in any way i can.


Comments

thanks to both of you.Eric for details and Scott for showing the way
NOV 07, 2003 - 04:25 AM
i want to thank you for putting it up.. Hope you enjoyed it.. hth Eric
NOV 12, 2003 - 08:45 AM
i'm not placing this reply to brag but will ya please give me some comment on this model. It was the first US model i've build in years ( i normally build German subjects ) After this model i've build the DUKW and you all gave me some good information and tips. Perhaps i have to alter here and there some little things on this tiny vehicle . Also i wish everyone a very happy new year . All the best Eric
JAN 01, 2004 - 08:39 AM
A great and very useful article Eric. Good description of tools used, paints used, and accessories. Would have improved the article even more if you had of given a short explanation of how you made your bedrolls and vignette base. Tips like this are invaluable, no matter how many times you read them. I love how you dressed up this little beauty. I have seen it countless times in my local hobby shop and when I looked for it along with the DUKW, it was gone. IŽll get it someday. I love reading articles like this and would love to see more! The whole scene is very nice and especially the wild plants at the side of the road. I have only one nit-pick on the whole scene. That is the gaps between your road pavings. They all seem quite deep .... the depth of the paving. These would fill up through time with grit etc, even if they were not filled with sand at the time of laying. Great work and will go well with all your german dios.
JAN 02, 2004 - 03:34 AM