login   |    register

The End of Days

Now comes the fun part, for me that is. I can start building the drivers compartment. I had to remove some plastic parts (A lot) here too. So back to the mini-tool.

The only things I did not use for the drivers compartment are the fire extinguisher holder and the pedals. This is because when I did use the P.E. parts from the box; there was no place for the driver. I did not used the P.E. cockpit because it was to flat in my opinion, so I used the original one from Tamiya. I have to be honest about this but, I had some pictures of an original cockpit at hand as reference.

Also the rest of the interior is dressed up with P.E., cranks and more. Furthermore, the gear shifts and the back seat are replaced. Note : the gearshifts are also very fragile so some attention is needed here !! The front and back are not glued to the body but simply pressed into the body work. This is to prevent unnecessary glue ridges. Of course there were some gaps to fill at the front as well as the back. Be careful when you sand the putty, the details on top are easily removed and when you do you have to scratch build them again.

The front housing to hold the cockpit is also placed at this stage. This part needs some remodeling as well and the removed parts have to be replaced with P.E. I did not alter the whole part and I did not use part 60 of the Eduard box. But here in my opinion the original plastic part was better than the P.E. part.

About the Author

About H.L.Sikkema (demodelbouwer)

hello i'm eric and i live in the Netherlands. I'm married with ilona and have three daugters. for the last year i am a very active modeller. Before that the hobby was only a time distraction. I'm a modeller for over 35 years now and i like to share my knowledge with others in any way i can.


thanks to both of you.Eric for details and Scott for showing the way
NOV 07, 2003 - 04:25 AM
i want to thank you for putting it up.. Hope you enjoyed it.. hth Eric
NOV 12, 2003 - 08:45 AM
i'm not placing this reply to brag but will ya please give me some comment on this model. It was the first US model i've build in years ( i normally build German subjects ) After this model i've build the DUKW and you all gave me some good information and tips. Perhaps i have to alter here and there some little things on this tiny vehicle . Also i wish everyone a very happy new year . All the best Eric
JAN 01, 2004 - 08:39 AM
A great and very useful article Eric. Good description of tools used, paints used, and accessories. Would have improved the article even more if you had of given a short explanation of how you made your bedrolls and vignette base. Tips like this are invaluable, no matter how many times you read them. I love how you dressed up this little beauty. I have seen it countless times in my local hobby shop and when I looked for it along with the DUKW, it was gone. IŽll get it someday. I love reading articles like this and would love to see more! The whole scene is very nice and especially the wild plants at the side of the road. I have only one nit-pick on the whole scene. That is the gaps between your road pavings. They all seem quite deep .... the depth of the paving. These would fill up through time with grit etc, even if they were not filled with sand at the time of laying. Great work and will go well with all your german dios.
JAN 02, 2004 - 03:34 AM