Glad I didn't bore you all to death
Thanks, and I'll try to do better next time.
Penpen-- just for you . . .
I scribed repeatedly along the elevator hinge lines with the back of an X-acto No. 11 blade to separate the surfaces. I then used a Dremel tool with a small steel ball cutter to mill out the hinge recess along the back of the horizontal stabilizers, refining and enlarging that recess with a round jeweler's file.
I glued .020 styrene strip to the leading edge of the elevators, rounding that off with sanding sticks and wet-and-dry sandpaper. Dirty little secret -- I forgot to round down the leading edge of the elevator horn, but that should have been done with only a .010 plastic strip capping on that section.
The rounded elevator leading edges should then nest in the stabilizer recesses.
I also drilled matching holes in the elevator inboard ends to accept a wire torque tube such as links the elevators on the real Spitfire and many other WW II fighters.