Sorry for the long delay, but I experienced something that can only make me scratch my head and slowly move on. Two airbrush issues (failed O-rings) needing replacement parts that are hard to find here, my phone going on the fritz (replaced), and the largest hurdle, the computer! While I'm fairly certain that the nieces had something to do with the computer, resulting in a complete wipe and re-install, I discovered that right away has different meanings depending on the country in which you reside. Things seem to be sort of back to normal now.
I must admit that we've got a lot of nice work going on here! I'm sure that more will cross the finish line before the end of the year.
That said, I've been having a fun time with the Mauve P-40N. I very nice kit, that I started to play with!
I replaced the kit's gun barrels (plastic stubs) using Albion brass tubing (0.8mm o.d. x 0.06mm i.d.), which worked nicely, though I do need to practice a bit more on this technique.
Then I rediscovered a little technique that I'd forgotten about. Wet sanding with 3000 grit, to smooth out the roughed paint finish. This worked really well on the paint. In my zeal, I did mar an insignia, and the water managed to get into the white glue I used for the canopy.
Back I went to the bench to make the minor repairs, where somewhere, somehow the little squadron marking on the rudder (bee-man) simply fell off leaving no trace, and on both sides! I'm still unsure how this happened, though will be keeping an eye on the Nieces things for any added on decals!!
Feeling pretty cocky at this point I went for a dusting of the top to simulate sun fading. Here, I forgot to dilute the white when I did the high fly-by with the airbrush. The result was a rather poor fading attempt.
I did like the effect of the Prisma silver pencil I used to replicate chipped paint from pilot and work areas.
Undaunted, I pulled out the olive drab and lightly went over the areas that didn't look right.
This is the state of affairs currently. I think that I'll do a properly diluted shade of light gull gray to do some minimal fading. The bird is starting to tell me that it's time to wrap it up, so on to finishing the prop and landing gear, installing the seat, and calling her done.
Till next time! Keep up the great work that is going on here, the finish line is quickly approaching!!