login   |    register

Scale Modeling Sponsors

See Your Ad Here!

Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Hosted by Kevin Brant
WnW FE.2b
PanzerLehr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Joined: February 11, 2009
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hello,

As I am nearing the finish on my WnW Bristol F.2b I decided to start on the engine for my WnW FE.2b





I know some people will say that spark plug wires shouldn’t be twisted like I have as they are high voltage.....but I like the texture it give me after they are painted.

The next pictures are of the completed engine. 2 weeks after the start of assembly.




phantom_phanatic309
#372
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Joined: March 10, 2010
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
AeroScale: 1,300 posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 - 07:03 PM UTC
That is incredible work!
Would love to know you did the wiring, it's one thing I still can't work out how to do. My attempt was a messy disaster.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Joined: May 14, 2007
KitMaker: 3,109 posts
AeroScale: 2,262 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 06:02 AM UTC
Wow. The engine looks great. I wouldn't worry about twisted wires and people complaining. Everything just looks right.
PanzerLehr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Joined: February 11, 2009
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 09:27 AM UTC
Thank you to both! The plug wires are just copper wire from an old mobile phone charging cord. Twisted to a tight uniform appearance then bent to give a natural look then cut to length. I then added ends I made from Albion Alloys brass micro tubing cut to !mm in length. I then flattened one end the drilled a hole so it will fit over top of the spark plug.
RussellE
#306
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Joined: June 27, 2010
KitMaker: 2,153 posts
AeroScale: 227 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 - 12:09 AM UTC
Chris I've always wanted to follow along on a WnW's build so I'm following along with interest!

All caught up on your progress so far! That engine looks amazing!
phantom_phanatic309
#372
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Joined: March 10, 2010
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
AeroScale: 1,300 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 - 10:44 AM UTC
Thanks. I also like your idea of using brass tubing for the ignition tubes. That will certainly make it easier getting wire bundles to the magnetos. I think that was where I was going wrong on my Rumplers engine. The kit supplied tubes are impossible to drill out or glue them to!
Will give that a go.
PanzerLehr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Joined: February 11, 2009
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 - 10:13 AM UTC
Thank you. The kit gives you the tubes in plastic...but as said before they are a pain to drill out. The tubing works great but it is still pretty tight getting 6 wires into each of the tubes then running them to the magnetos.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Joined: July 22, 2012
KitMaker: 736 posts
AeroScale: 730 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 - 11:56 AM UTC
Wow Chris, that sure is pretty! Bravo.
phantom_phanatic309
#372
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Joined: March 10, 2010
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
AeroScale: 1,300 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 08:37 AM UTC
Chris,
I picked up a packet of 1mm brass tubing over the weekend and I was pleased to find that they are more or less the same size as the original kit items. Needed to open up the internal diameter slightly, but an easy job to do.
I've recently been mucking about with a couple of old computers and a stereo amplifier (keeps me out of trouble), so I've all kinds of bits of wire of various diameters to play around with. I found that the wire from speaker cable when twisted together fitted the tubing no problem. So an easy solution and thanks again for sharing.