Unpacking and sorting out bins last night I found an old friend, Monogram's TBF Avenger. I had built at least 2 while a kid. I parted with $3 and in January 1987 I started another. Inspired by the late Sheperd Paine's "creative gizmology" and with a growing understanding of WW2 airframe structure, I decided to create an Avenger like no other.
I used Plastruct, styrene sheet, wire, stretched sprue, soda straws, model railroad items, odds-n-ends, and parts from other models. Eventually, I had the interior almost complete and sealed it up, then painted and decaled it c. 1989-91. But I was traveling a lot back then and the model was put in storage several times. It has been knocked about quite a bit and crossed the country twice. But the old "turkey" just needs a little TLC and eventually will be on my shelf. The photos show a variety of my efforts, as well as cardstock templates i used to make bulkheads. Enjoy.