From their first sheets they were supposedly done to represent Alb. D. V D.2359/17 from Jasta 23b. But real rib tapes run chordwise as they were laid out to cover the rib stations. Their specific purpose was to cover the nailed and sewn portion of the fabric cover that was attached to the wing rib. As is, I cannot recomend these first issues.
But as of today they have a the second attempt completed.
32nd Scale "Lozenge" for WNW Albatros D.V
As many will know, we have been working with Richard and Harry of theaviattic.com and Fantasy Printshop to produce some really accurate “lozenge” decals in 32nd scale. The colours have been painstakingly custom-mixed to accurately portray the various shades in 1/32nd scale, using surviving fabric examples.
The first prototypes, which were shown at the IPMS UK show at Telford last year . . .Since then we have steadily revised the designs and tweaked the colours, examining and drawing all the known covering configurations and we're now delighted to announce that the first full production set, precisely tailored to fit the Wingnuts Albatros D.V/Va, will be available before the end of March.
Principal content for the production sheet:
• All edge and strengthening tapes in place, rib tapes are also all in place, except where wing sections join - here they are provided as separate decals to cover any slight decal adjustment at the join.
• Upper and Lower wing covering applied chord-wise.
• Rib tape colours the same for top and bottom covering (You have a choice of blue or pink – each colour matched to existing fabric samples).
• Top wing now in four, not five pieces and elevator now covered in single pieces top and bottom.
• Ample additional tapes are provided, which will allow for supplementary tapes sometimes seen on the lower wings to be portrayed.
• Fabric covering aft of pilots seat and rudder covering in both upper and lower colours – your choice.
They will be accompanied by a booklet outlining the development and use of the German printed lozenge fabric and a comprehensive guide to trouble-free application to the model.
The Albatros D.V set, 32020 comprises four sheets of fully screen-printed, white-backed decals . . .Price for 32020 is £19.50 plus P&P. Pre-orders can be made now by emailing us.
Please specify your rib tape colour preference when ordering - 32020 Blue or 32020 Pink.
Other specific tailored sets for the Roden SSW D.III and Wingnut’s Pfalz D.IIIa, Roland D.VIa and LVG C.VI, will follow in the coming months - all with similar attention to detail and precise tailoring.
We will also be producing decals of fabric bolts and various rib tapes in the same authentic shades, so that modellers who wish for a fully personalised arrangement of the fabric and don’t mind the considerable additional effort involved, can also benefit from the same colours, should they wish.
Four-colour decals are in development now. . ."