P-61 A/B Propeller & Cowling Set
True details' 1:48 scale P-61 A/B Propeller & Cowling Set for the Great Wall Hobby kit comes in a new designed package for the brand and comprises the following resin elements:
- 2 cowlings;
- 2 extended reduction gear fairings (including 2 small detail parts for each);
- 4 magnetos;
- 2 spinners;
- 8 cuffed prop blades.
The parts are cast in a new grey resin and appear flawless with no air bubbles or surface blemishes. Somehow the quality of the product seems to have improved when compared to the previous efforts by this company. The resin pieces are direct replacements/enhancements for the original kit parts of the Great Wall Hobby kit:
- New cowlings have a bigger and more correct opening at the front;
- The magnetos have been ignored in the plastic kit so the resin ones are additional detail;
- The reduction gear fairings were missing as well in the kit and the True Details set fixes that;
- The propeller blades and spinner are a one piece affair in the GWH kit. The set provides separate ones which look more realistic.
While the Great Wall Hobby P-61 kit can be built into a decent model out of the box (see build article here
) this set corrects one of the most important visual annoyance of the kit. Admittedly, the modifications necessary to achieve a similar result are not complicated and only require some basic skills in scratch building and some effort to enlarge the cowling openings but at such a decent price, the True Details set is a time saver. Only the big casting plugs of the engine cowlings are a bit of a problem as removing them will probably take as long as enlarging the original kit parts, so in the end, the resin cowlings are not a big improvement. Still, they can represent replacement parts if something goes wrong in the modification process of the original kit's parts.
Note: A cheaper set is also available and comprises only the propeller blades and the spinners (ref. TD48547) for $9.99.
Please remember, when contacting retailers or manufacturers, to mention that you saw their products highlighted here - on AEROSCALE